Mouldy Tape

Mouldy tape occurs during incorrect storage (or normal storage as its more commonly known in lofts, garages etc.) Not all tapes can be saved, however the sooner a removal attempt is made and the tape is captured to another format the better.

No tape is easy to clean and all cleaning carries some risk to the tape surface, the smaller the tape format, i.e. Video 8 vs larger VHS, the more risk of the tape snapping as the mould can penetrate the narrower thinner tape more easily and cause the tape surfaces to stick together causing snagging of the tape.

The normal manual cleaning procedure can take some time to complete and once the mould is removed the capture can then take place. Care must be taken when removing mould, see below information.

How does it affect your health?
Moulds produce allergens (substances that can cause an allergic reaction), irritants and, sometimes, toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mould spores may cause an allergic reaction, such as sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes and skin rash. Moulds can also cause asthma attacks.

Information from NHS UK

On the subject of tape damage, chewed tapes, snapped tapes and torn tapes are obviously an issue when it comes to capture. We can remove these sections and re-splice the tape together, we try to loose as little of the tape as possible however the length of damage is beyond our control.

Select the menu item from the top of the page or go back to the FAQ page.

Cassette showing mouldy tape
Cassette showing mouldy tape